Canada has been a very popular destination for international students. Every year, over 130, 000 international students choose to study in Canada. This is because of the so many benefits that come with studying in this fascinating country.
This article would guide you on the steps you need to take in order to obtain a Canadian student visa.
If you wish to study in Canada, you would of course need a Canadian study permit or student visa. You would not be issued a student visa if your purpose of coming to Canada would not last for six months, you would be rather issued Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). However, if your studies would last beyond 6 months, then you must obtain a Canadian student visa.
|Canadian Universities With High Acceptance Rate||APPLY NOW|
|Tuition-Free Universities in Canada||APPLY NOW|
|Canada Study Visa||APPLY NOW|
|Canada Work Visa||APPLY NOW|
|Canada Holiday Visa||APPLY NOW|
|Move to Canada With Family||APPLY NOW|
|Canada Express Entry||APPLY NOW|
|Fastest Way to Move to Canada||APPLY NOW|
Benefits of a Canada Student Visa
There are so many benefits of obtaining a Canadian student visa. Aside from needing it to gain the authorization to study in Canada, you would also need a student visa to work while you study. Isn’t this great, you stand the chance of managing your finances even while you acquire a quality education among other exciting benefits.
Do you want to study and work in Canada?
You would need a student visa if you intend to study and work in Canada. This article would provide you with a step to step guide on how to study and work in Canada.
How to Apply for a Canada Student Visa
Below is a step-step guide to acquire your Canadian student visa
1. Apply at a recognized Canadian Higher Education Provider and Obtain a Letter of Acceptance:
This is the first necessary step to acquiring a Canadian student visa. You will need to be accepted into a recognized higher education provider before you can begin applying for a Canadian student visa. Moreover, you would be required to present your acceptance letter during your visa application.
Some recognized Canadian universities are listed below;
· University of Regina
· Wilfrid Laurier University
· University of British Columbia
· University of Alberta
· University of Calgary
2. Check if you need a student visa in Canada:
Not everyone would require a student visa to study in Canada. This is dependent on the following situations;
· You are enrolling in a study program with completion in less than six months
· You are a family or staff member of a foreign representative in Canada, who is accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade, and Development Canada.
· You are a member of foreign armed forces from the Visiting Forces Act.
· You are a citizen of another country, but you have an Indian status registered in Canada.
3. Begin your Student Visa Application:
The next step is to apply for your Canadian student visa. The first few steps of obtaining a student visa are;
· Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website to apply for your Canadian student visa.
· Alternatively to the above first step, you can send the visa application documents by post.
· Next, provide the acceptance letter you received from a recognized higher education provider
· Provide proof of sufficient finance to fund your studies in Canada in terms of the tuition fee and living expenses
· Provide proof demonstrating that you have no criminal records for instance a Police Clearance Certificate.
· You are to submit medical records which show that you are healthy.
4. Prepare the Necessary Documents for the Canadian Student Visa:
The necessary documents for the Canadian student visa include;
· Filled-in student permit application form
· An original copy of your acceptance letter from the University
· Proof that you paid the study permit fee (150 CAD)
· A valid passport/ travel document that allows traveling back to your country after completion of your studies. If you live in the USA, this is not necessary.
· Two recent passport size photographs with your name and the date of birth written as it back
· Proof of financial competency to stay in Canada still the study program completion. The required finance is usually between 10, 000 and 11, 000 CAD per year for living in the country.
· A letter of intent
· If you would be studying in Quebec, you will be required to obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec, English and French translations of your document, a statement from the translator, and a certified copy of the original documents
5. You are required to meet the Language Criteria to Study in Canada:
Canadian universities would usually require you to submit proof of English language proficiency.
Some accepted language tests include;
· IELTS Academic
· TOEFL Ibt
· C1 Advanced
· PTE Academic
6. Provision of Biometrics:
You may have to go to the Visa Application Centre in your country to have your biometrics taken. The biometrics fee is 85 CAD. This activity depends on your nationality as some countries won’t require your biometrics.
Normally, applicants from Europe, the Middle East or Africa may need to provide biometrics.
Also, depends on some situations, you may be requested to come for an interview by your Visa Application Centre in your country.
How long should you expect to receive your Canadian Study Permit?
The processing time can take up to 90 days but it is usually faster. If you are in a hurry, you can use the Student Direct Stream to get a student visa or study permit faster. Fees start at 150 CAD and the processing time is usually around 20 calendar days. Unfortunately, the Student Direct Stream is only available to applicants from the following countries
· The Philippines
How long can I use my Canadian Study Permit?
Your student visa would become invalid 90 days after you have completed your study program. Then you would be required to go back to your home country. If you wish to continue with your studies and seek work, you will need to obtain a post-graduation work permit.
For more information about the Canadian student visa, please visit the official Canadian student visa page.
How can I study for free in Canada?
Yes, it is possible to study for free in Canada. There are so many scholarships available in Canada for undergraduates and graduates of international students. These scholarships in Canada are offered by the Canadian government and other higher institutions to help international students like you gain quality education free of charge.