Interestingly, the presence of communities of Filipino students is very much felt in most Canadian schools. Students who are qualified can study in Canada from the Philippines.
No doubt, Canada is one of the notable countries nationwide whose standard of education is not compromised beginning from elementary school to post-secondary studies. This is evident in the fact that it harbors top-ranked universities in the world.
Are you a Filipino who desires to study in Canada? With this article, you have little or nothing to worry about because we will tell you all you need to know about studying in Canada from the Philippines including the tuition fees, scholarships (if any), and lots more.
Why Should I Study In Canada from the Philippines?
Regardless of the commendable environment and educational system in the Philippines, statistically, there are a good number of reasons why international students choose Canada as their study destination.
One of the major reasons is that it is popular for the availability of affordable universities and scholarships for international students. Also, the tuition fee and cost of living in the country are surprisingly affordable though this largely depends on your spending habits. This means that irrespective of what your budget might be, there is a university for you in Canada.
Additionally, Canada is not known for discrimination as over the years, it has proven to be a hub for international students thereby hosting about 250,000 of them yearly. A lot of Canadian universities have earned a spot in the International ranking as a result of the educational strategy introduced by the Canadian Ministry of Education which emphasizes raising the number of international students. There is a suitable environment for work and study both for local and international students.
Lastly, there are prospects for students from the Philippines after study. Aside from the fact that it is easier for Canadian students to immigrate to Canada after their studies, students are permitted to work after graduation as long as they apply for a work visa. Who would not love to be in a country with a quality standard of living and great career prospects? This could count as one of the reasons for you to study in Canada if you have the intention of immigrating to the country.
Well-Known Canadian Provinces for Filipino Students
Here is a list of the major student cities and provinces for Filipino students and most of these places are home to most of the top-rated universities thereby making it a wonderful location for a Filipino community. They are Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, Quebec, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia.
What are the Available Program Choices for Filipino Students?
There is a wide range of programs available for Filipino students who desire to study in Canada ranging from diploma degrees, bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, and lots more.
Here is a list of some of the famous majors in Canada; Law, Computer Science and IT, Business, Public Relations, Civil Engineering, International Relations, Mining Engineering IT, Health, Nursing, Statisticians, Medicine, Food, Pharmacy, Counselling/Therapy, International Relations and many more.
For Master’s students, summer enrollment commences in the second week of January, and a little bit earlier for Bachelor’s students while the application deadline for Winter enrollment is the first week of September.
What is the Cost of Studying in Canada from the Philippines?
We have established the fact that studying in Canada is quite affordable. But to move to Canada from the Philippines, you should put into consideration the tuition for the first year, living expenses as well as return transportation.
The cost of an undergraduate program is ranging from $13,000 to $20,000 and the cost of a postgraduate master’s degree is between $17,000 to $25,000. The cost of a Doctoral degree is usually up to $7,000 to $15,000 while the cost of an MBA is up to $30,000 to $40,000.
Furthermore, some Filipino students are supposed to pay a fee of $696 for International Health Insurance depending on the medical situation.
Those that Can Sponsor a Student from the Philippines to Canada.
We advise you to put into consideration the options available to you for funding such as who will pay your tuition fee, provide funds for flight booking, pay for your accommodation and other needs before applying to a Canadian school from the Philippines.
Below is the list of people who can sponsor you to study in Canada from the Philippines:
-Your guardians or family members
– Institutions (universities or colleges) in your country or your employer.
– A religious community
– Any other relative as long as the relationship can be ascertained with legal documents.
– The government of the Philippines.
– Loans or Scholarships can also serve as funding evidence.
Are there Study Loans in Canada for Filipino Students?
Yes! And the good news for foreign students is that immediately they are registered into a Canadian school, they can apply for a student loan without a cosigner. Not all students from all countries are qualified for study loans in Canada, therefore we advise that you find out with the lender.
Foreign students may be qualified for a loan to take care of their cost of tuition, housing, food, insurance, and educational supplies such as flights or books.
Are There Scholarships for Filipino Students in Canada?
In almost every Canadian university, college, and high school, there are more than 50 scholarship programs for international students including the ones from the Philippines.
For you to be eligible for these scholarship opportunities, there are certain criteria you must meet though some might not be compulsory, they include;
-International Students must present evidence that shows that he or she has contributed to their country through research.
– Candidates must score at least 6.5 in a recognized English Language Proficiency Test.
– Candidates will be screened based on their academics and statement of interest.
– This type of scholarship is only meant for International students.
– The student is expected to submit a personal statement.
– The student is expected to submit an official Transcript.
– The student is expected to submit a recommendation letter
– The student will be interviewed.
What are the Organizations that Offer Scholarships to Filipino Students in Canada?
As earlier stated, there are numerous scholarship programs available for international students, Filipino students, inclusive. Also, there is a wide range of organizations willing to award scholarships to Philippine students based on merit and needs especially if you are eligible and apply within the deadline. Nevertheless, there are a few fully funded scholarships in Canada that are awarded to international students annually with a value of over 50of,000 Canadian dollars.
How Do I Apply for Admission in Canada from the Philippines?
You must complete the following steps if you wish to apply for admission into a Canadian university from the Philippines:
-You must research available courses and schools to determine your choices.
– You have to commence a fresh application for admission to the school website.
– You must obtain a letter of acceptance from the university or institution which will serve as proof that you have been admitted. (With this, you can apply for a student visa)
– You must pay the admission application fee and present all required documents, like:
- Statement of purpose.
- English language test scores (IELTS, CELPIP, TOEFL).
- Transcripts obtained from the former or school in the Philippines.
- Identity documents, etc
What are the Minimum Academic Requirements for Filipino Students?
We advise Filipino students to consult the school that they wish to apply to get information on the necessary academic requirements. Below, are a few academic requirements you should have:
-You should choose a degree program that is related to your career path or former degrees(if any).
– You should get your basic paperwork like a letter of motivation, recommendation letter, and others ready.
– You should look out for the particular Admission Requirements of the university of your choice.
– You have to wait after the application to be enrolled successfully.
– Finally, commence preparations for your student visa
You are advised to talk to consultants or representatives when applying because it will make the application process easier and faster (only when you are talking to an authorized and trustworthy agency), nevertheless, you can choose to apply by yourself and save some consultation fee but you are prone to make a lot of mistakes which will make the whole process take longer time
What are the Requirements for a Study Visa from the Philippines?
There are general eligibility criteria that have been set up by the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada) you need to meet whether you are applying for the Canada study permit through the normal process or Students Direct Stream. Fortunately, Filipino students can access both application processes These requirements are:
- You must present an acceptance letter from your desired institution.
- You must show proof of funds or evidence that you have paid the tuition fees
- In some cases, you have to present proof of a Guaranteed Investment Certificate of CAN$10,000.
- You must submit evidence of medical examination
- You must present a Police character certificate
- You must submit all transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school.
Furthermore, you must undergo a language test and present a result that can be a TEF score which is equivalent to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of at least 7 or a minimum of 6.0 in an International Language Testing System (IELTS) in each of the following skills; reading, speaking, listening, and writing.
We also have a list of some documents you are expected to have when applying for a Canada study permit.
- You must have a fully completed, dated, and signed Family information form.
- Ensure you have original passports and you will be required to submit a copy of the passport bio-data page.
- For minors Studying in Canada, you must present an original birth certificate and a Notarized Custodianship Declaration.
- You must also present a letter of acceptance from the university where you want to study showing; unconditional admission, the course title, the study duration, level of study, the most recent possible date of admission.
- You must also present a personal study plan which carries detailed information regarding your academic, technical, or vocational background and prospective career goals.
- You must also submit an official fee schedule which includes tuition, accommodation, feeding, and other expenses like medical insurance, books, memberships, and so on.
- Another important document is proof of studies, you must submit a document that shows all present and past education.
- For candidates who are 18 years and above, police certificates are required.
- You are also expected to fill and submit a Background questionnaire.
How Long Does Study Permit Canada take?
Please note that you should apply for a study permit immediately when you are issued an acceptance letter from a Canadian institution. Most times, the majority of Student Direct Stream applications are processed within 20 to 25 days after they have received your biometrics, but depending on your location, this may take up to 3 months.
In conclusion, we sincerely hope that we have exhausted all you need to know as a Filipino student looking at studying in Canada and you have gathered all the necessary information you need to study in Canada from the Philippines.